I am a firm believer in the place of the user at the centre of any web experience, and hence bring not only advanced technical skills but also experience and knowledge of, and a passion for, issues such as usability, accessibility and internationalisation to any project on which I work.
Senior Web Developer @ London & PartnersApril 2011 - present
- Bringing together the online presences of Study London, Think London and Visit London to create a new digital platform for the best big city on earth.
Senior Web Developer @ Visit LondonApril 2005 - March 2011
- Added WAI ARIA landmark roles across all Visit London sites – very quickly received unprompted, positive feedback from screen reader users.
- Converted all Visit London web sites to HTML5.
- Produced working prototypes using Google maps, Bing maps and five other mapping APIs in order to choose the best product.
- Simple JSP based parser of RSS feeds from Twitter in order to recognise and separate common Twitter idioms (@username, #hashtag, etc.).
- Development of experimental web site presentation layer in XSLT as well as a more conventional JSP framework.
- Implementation of a Content Management System, using the Percussion Rhythmyx platform. I liaised closely with consultants from the vendor to customise the product in line with business requirements.
- Supporting web analytics using WebTrends, creation of custom reports in collaboration with an in-house business analyst and consultants from WebTrends.
Freelance Web Developer/ConsultantAugust 2002 - April 2005
- Accessibility and site optimisation for a large government department.
- Creation of a portal for teenagers utilising an advanced templating system for easy updating of complex pages by editors.
- Extranet development for a major IT company.
- Accessibility guidelines for a financial institution.
Web Developer @ Wicked WebJanuary 1998 - July 2002
- Line manager for other web and multi-media developers.
- Assessing project requirements and advising on appropriate technologies.
- Creation of project documentation, including information architecture, style guidelines and technical specifications.
- Primary build of HTML pages and templates. Supervision and mentoring of build carried out by other developers.
- Liaison with designers and programmers to ensure seamless workflow throughout a project.
- Quality control - set standards for the project; test functionality, usability, accessibility and browser compatibility; and advise on remedial actions to be taken.
- Advising on strategies and implementations for improved search engine presence.
Intern @ On-line PublishingSeptember - December 1997
Balliol College, Oxford University
- BA (Hons) in Physics.
- JCR Entertainments Committee, first as Publicity Officer and then as Secretary I was responsible for designing, producing and distributing publicity; keeping minutes of meetings; planning and organizing a wide range of social events, especially cocktail bars and bar quizzes.
- member of JCR Environment Committee.
Reigate Grammar School
- 1 STEP in Mathematics.
- 4 A levels in Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
- 1 AO in Advanced Mathematics.
- 9 GCSE in Chemistry, English, English Literature, French, Geography, History, Latin, Maths and Physics.
- Software and platforms: Percussion CM System (formerly, Rhythmyx), WebTrends, Google Analytics, Dreamweaver, oXygen, Photoshop, WordPress, phpBB, MediaWiki.
- Knowledge and experience of accessibility (WAI WCAG and ARIA standards), usability, information architecture, search engine optimisation, web analytics.
Contact DetailsSteve Pugh
Home page: http://steve.pugh.net/